HC Anthology 1
- Target 8 contributors
- 80k words @ 0.5¢/word
- 10 images @ $20/image
- Adult situations okay, but not porn
- Stories set in the Hayven Celestia
- Prefer original characters over existing
- Submission deadline 10/15/2019
- One contributor copy per contributor
- Additional copies available at cost + $1/copy
- Contributor retains copyright and grants Rick Griffin non-exclusive rights to any concepts and characters created in those stories. That is, for the purposes of the Hayven Celestia universe, once written concepts are free to be reused and referenced in future Hayven Celestia works by Rick Griffin and other authors, while the author of the story itself still retains rights to republish the story, sell and distribute rights to the story insofar as it relates to the story alone and not to the Hayven Celestia universe as a whole. (This is unwieldy, but I am just trying to determine what the precise rights distribution here should be)
- Submissions need not be new but shouldn't be published elsewhere from submission date through publication date + 1 year
Call for Submissions
Attention authors and artists! Rick Griffin is planning to publish an anthology set in his Hayven Celestia (HC) universe and is soliciting you to submit your creations for inclusion in this book.
The Hayven Celestia (HC) is a shared universe created by Rick Griffin and Gre7g Luterman. Though the universe features vast empires and amazing technologies, the stories set in HC tend to be about the slaves and underdogs that prop those empires up unwillingly with their labor.
Ideally, story submissions should be in the 3k-18k range. If you would like to submit a shorter or longer story, please inquire first. Accepted submissions will pay out 0.5¢/word on publication.
Art submissions should be either full-bleed, full-page spreads or full-bleed two-page spreads. Please consult the artwork layout templates first before you create your masterpiece! Accepted submissions will pay out $20.00 on publication.
Multiple submissions are allowed so long as the number of submissions is kept reasonable—like three, not ten. Send in your best, not everything you've ever produced.
Each contributor will receive one contributor copy, but you may purchase additional advance copies for a reduced price and resell them.
Stories and artwork should be set in the HC and feature the races it contains. You may add your own race or races to the universe, but their design and depiction will need to "feel" consistent with the rest of the HC. Readers are unlikely to believe that race of stone-skinned, clothes-wearing wizards belong in the HC, for example. If in doubt, please inquire first.
The anthology will be targeted at an adult audience, so adult themes and situations are welcome, but it will not include any porn, fetish material, or generally objectionable content. Your characters may suffer during the course of your story, for example, but if the writing is targeted for the enjoyment of sadists, it will be rejected.
As a shared universe, you may include existing characters into your submitted stories, provided that you can do it respectfully and in a manner consistent with how the character has been portrayed in previous stories. Ateri, for example, is a brave starship captain who will make any sacrifice to ensure the survival of his crew. If your story is about a maniacal tyrant of a captain, don't name him Ateri. Make up your own character. You will maintain copyright to your creations, but by joining this shared universe you will be allowing other creators to use your characters too—again, so long as they do so in a consistent and respectful way.
Note this doesn't mean you have to accept other authors' creations as canon. If one author writes about Ateri's death and another writes further adventures for him, so be it.
Submission deadline is October 15, 2019 and my goal is to have the book published by January 15, 2020.
Inquiries Only: email@example.com